You know it’s important for your business to have a great website with a strong online presence, but how can you measure the results and see how many people are visiting your website and which pages are they looking at?
Regularly checking your website traffic is important and by understanding your website’s traffic and visitor behaviour, you can get an insight into your audience to help you optimize your website and your marketing strategies to convert more visitors into customers. I’ve looked at some of the best affordable tools that help provide you with comprehensive analysis of your website traffic.
Why should I check my website traffic?
Regularly reviewing your website traffic lets you gauge the effectiveness of your marketing efforts, understand your audience’s behaviour, and identify ways of improving your content, the user experience and ultimately convert more visitors into customers. By monitoring your website’s traffic, you can track the impact of your SEO strategies, content marketing campaigns, and social media activities. Additionally, website traffic analysis helps you identify popular pages, referral sources, and keywords that are driving traffic to your site. Armed with this knowledge, you can make data-driven decisions to enhance your online presence and so increase conversions of visitors to customers.
Understanding website traffic metrics
Before we explore the tools that can help you check website traffic, it’s important to understand the key metrics that you will encounter. These metrics provide valuable insights into various aspects of your website’s performance. Let’s look at some of the most commonly used website traffic metrics:
- Visits: This metric represents the total number of times your website has been visited within a specified time period. It includes both new and returning visitors.
- Unique Visitors: Unique visitors represent the number of individuals who have visited your website during a specific time frame. Unlike visits, unique visitors are counted only once, regardless of how many times they visit.
- Sessions: A session is the activity of a visitor to your website group within a particular time period. For example, a session records all the activities of a visitor who views a page on your website and then moves around different pages and perhaps fills in a form. Normally a session ends after 30minutes of inactivity.
- Pageviews: A pageview is recorded every time a webpage is loaded or refreshed. It indicates the number of times a specific page has been viewed.
- Bounce Rate: The bounce rate measures the percentage of visitors who leave your website after viewing only one page. A high bounce rate may indicate that your website is not engaging enough or that visitors are not finding what they are looking for.
- Referral Sources: Referral sources show where your website traffic is coming from. This could be search engines, social media platforms, other websites, or direct traffic.
- Keywords: Keywords refer to the search terms that visitors use to find your website. By analyzing the keywords driving traffic, you can optimize your content to attract more relevant visitors.
Google Analytics: The free go-to tool for website traffic analysis
When it comes to checking website traffic, Google Analytics is undoubtedly the most popular free tool available. It provides comprehensive information about your website’s performance, audience demographics, traffic sources, and much more. And best of all, it’s free to use.
To get started with Google Analytics, you need to sign up for an account at Google and add a tracking code to your website. Once the code is implemented, Google Analytics will start collecting data about your website visitors. You can then access the data through the Google Analytics dashboard, which offers a wide range of reports and metrics to analyze.
Some of the key features of Google Analytics include:
- Audience Overview: This report gives you a snapshot of your website’s traffic, including the number of sessions, users, pageviews, and average session duration.
- Acquisition Overview: This report provides insights into where your website traffic is coming from, whether it’s organic search, social media, referrals, or paid advertising.
- Behaviour Flow: This feature visualizes the path visitors take on your website, showing you how they navigate between different pages and where they drop off.
- Conversion Tracking: Google Analytics allows you to set up goals and track conversions, such as form submissions, newsletter sign-ups, or purchases.
- Real-time view: You can see visitors to your website in real-time and which pages they are looking at for a period over the last 30 minutes.
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that can help you understand your website’s traffic. However, it might be overwhelming for beginners due to its complexity. If you’re looking for simpler alternatives or want to complement your analysis with additional tools, there are several affordable options available.
Our top affordable website traffic analysis tools
While Google Analytics is an excellent choice for website traffic analysis, there are other affordable tools that can provide valuable insights into your website’s performance. These tools offer a range of features and metrics to help you understand your audience, monitor your competitors, and optimize your online strategies. Let’s take a closer look at eight affordable website traffic checking tools:
A Comprehensive Website Traffic Analysis Tool
SimilarWeb is a powerful website traffic analysis tool that provides detailed insights into your website’s performance, as well as your competitors’. It offers a wide range of metrics, including traffic volume, engagement rates, referral sources, and popular keywords. SimilarWeb also provides audience demographic data, allowing you to understand the characteristics of your visitors. With its user-friendly interface and comprehensive reports, SimilarWeb is a valuable tool for any website owner or marketer.
2: Matomo / Piwik
Track and analyse your website’s traffic
Matomo (previously called Piwik) is a popular website analytics tool for checking website traffic. It’s similar to Google Analytics in its comprehensive view of website visitors and there’s a free version that provides almost all the detail a small business will need to help understand your website’s traffic including audience demographics, engagement rates, and referral sources.
Uncover Your Competitors’ Traffic and Keywords
SEMrush is a comprehensive SEO tool that also includes website traffic analysis features. It allows you to track your competitors’ traffic, keywords, and backlinks. With SEMrush, you can gain valuable insights into your industry’s landscape and discover new opportunities for growth. It also provides on-page SEO recommendations, competitor analysis reports, and content marketing tools.
Analyze Your Website’s Domain Authority and Traffic Trends
Moz is a well-known name in the SEO industry, and it offers a range of tools for website traffic analysis. Moz’s key feature is its domain authority metric, which measures the overall strength and credibility of your website. It also provides insights into your website’s traffic trends, top pages, and backlinks. Moz offers a free browser extension called MozBar, which allows you to analyze any website’s metrics directly from your browser.
Gain Insights into Your Backlinks and Organic Traffic
Ahrefs is primarily known for its backlink analysis capabilities, but it also offers website traffic analysis features. Ahrefs allows you to monitor your website’s organic traffic, backlinks, and referring domains. It provides valuable insights into your competitors’ backlinks and traffic sources, allowing you to uncover new opportunities and improve your SEO strategies.
Discover Keyword Opportunities and Traffic Estimates
Ubersuggest is a keyword research tool that also provides traffic analysis features. It allows you to discover new keyword opportunities, analyze your competitors’ top-performing pages, and estimate traffic volumes. Ubersuggest provides data on search volume, keyword difficulty, and cost-per-click (CPC) estimates. It’s a user-friendly tool that can help you optimize your content and attract more organic traffic.
Real-Time Website Analytics with Heatmaps and Visitor Tracking
Clicky is a real-time website analytics tool that offers a range of features to monitor your website’s performance. It provides detailed reports on visitor activity, including heatmaps, visitor tracking, and session recordings. Clicky also offers goal tracking and conversion analysis tools, allowing you to measure the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns in real-time.
Get an In-Depth Website Analysis and Traffic Insights
WooRank is an all-in-one SEO tool that includes website traffic analysis capabilities. It provides a detailed website audit, covering various aspects such as SEO, usability, social media, and mobile-friendliness. WooRank also offers traffic analysis features, including traffic volume, engagement rates, and popular pages. With its comprehensive reports and actionable recommendations, WooRank is a valuable tool for optimizing your website’s performance.
Choosing the best tool for your needs
With so many affordable tools available, choosing the right website traffic checking tool can be overwhelming. To make an informed decision, consider your specific needs and goals. Some tools might be more suitable for small businesses or individual website owners, while others offer advanced features for enterprise-level analysis. Additionally, take into account factors such as ease of use, pricing, and customer support. Many of the tools mentioned offer free trials or freemium versions, allowing you to test them before committing. Remember, the tool you choose should align with your objectives and provide the insights you need to boost your online presence effectively.
Checking website traffic is an integral part of building a successful online presence. By understanding your website’s traffic metrics, you can make data-driven decisions to optimize your marketing strategies, attract more relevant visitors, and increase conversions. While Google Analytics is the go-to tool for website traffic analysis, there are several affordable alternatives available. From comprehensive solutions like SimilarWeb and SEMrush to specialized tools like Alexa and Ubersuggest, these tools offer a range of features to suit different needs and budgets. By choosing the right website traffic checking tool and utilizing its insights, you can take your online presence to new heights. Start monitoring your website’s traffic today and unlock the potential for growth!